Eight Steps To Improve The Security Of Your Home
Improve Home Security in 8 Steps
Below are eight steps you can take to improve the security of your home.
- Get your locks rekeyed. That way all keys by past residents no longer work and you don’t need to worry about who has keys to your house! Read more about rekeying here.
- Don’t leave a spare key hidden somewhere outdoors. It is likely to be found if someone looks hard enough and there are smarter options. A key box to hold that spare key can be installed on your house exterior, these are very solid and opened only by use of a PIN. Particularly useful if you have teenagers, or need to let others such as tradesman into your residence.
- Think about a restricted key system for your residence. The key benefit of these systems are that keys can’t be copied without your authorisation and they’re much more pick proof than conventional locks, making them harder to be broken into.
- Install double cylinder deadbolts or deadlatches on your doors. This will not only strengthen the door/lock combination, but will also mean that you can lock the door from inside and outside, so it can’t be used for exiting premises. This will limit theft of items too large to be taken out through a window.
- Low cost security screen doors and windows are not designed or built to keep determined people out. Never leave your main door or window open and rely on the security screen for protection.
- Knobset style locks are often not fitted correctly. Meaning the locking function doesn’t work as it should.
- Glass sliding doors are a common weak point exploited by criminals. These types of doors also have the ability to have an aftermarket patio bolt fitted, which adds security and strength to these style of doors.
- Lock your windows in a partial open position. All windows that you wish to leave open, should have locks installed with the ability to lock in a partial open position, in addition to the fully closed position. They should not be open any more than a closed fist whilst in the locked open position.
Learn more about our locksmith services!